Catching Up

Yep, it’s been awhile (yet again) since I’ve popped in to say hello! The main purpose now is for a race recap! But when I went to look at my recap page, I realized that I haven’t even recapped the last race from back in August. Whoops. So, this is going to be just one giant “catching up” post.

I guess we’ll start with racing since that was my intention.

Way back in August, I ran the Oly Run 10k (again). It happened to be one of the hottest days of the year and the race didn’t start until 10am and we were already sweating buckets. Needless to say, it was not my best.

I actually set out running the race with my husband and friend, Ellen, but after the first killer mile, I set them on their way. Hubs ended up keeping Ellen company the entire time and they rolled in a few minutes before I did, equally beat up by the heat.

The course this year was different than last year so I can’t really compare times but the fact that it took me over 10 minutes longer this time says it all. My chief complaint was the late start – the route was a little better this year, and it still went to a good cause, so I’m happy I ran. (Also, it was a month earlier this year than last year. Why? I’m not sure.)

After this 10k in August, the next race I had lined up was the Poulsbo 10k in October. After being plagued with knee injuries since the end of last year, I wanted to take it easy on the distance front and focus on getting faster. So my intent was for Oly Run and Poulsbo to be a “before” and “after”, theoretically. Yes, this is flawed. The conditions were VASTLY different but both were decently hilly courses.

A couple weekends ago, I ran the Poulsbo 10k and it was cold and rainy and windy. A stark contrast to the 90* dry heat from August. And that extra 10 minutes that Oly Run took me? Gone. I came in around 1:05. Not a PR for me but a decent effort considering my knee (and now hip) have been bothering me and I haven’t been logging a lot of miles.

The 10k route for Poulsbo was new this year. (I ran the half last year and it is my half marathon PR.) The route was boring. I wouldn’t do it again. I did run the first 2 miles with Ellen, who was doing the half route again this year. Then I split off on my own and meandered my way through neighborhoods before heading back to the finish line.

Crossing it was the saddest I’ve ever been after a race. No one greeted me. There was no photographer. There were maybe only a dozen people milling around. I grabbed my ribbon, ran to my car, and drove down to Front Street to try to catch my husband on the half route but he was too speedy. I did see Ellen and Marissa, though (from my Ragnar team this year!)

I headed back up to the high school to wait for them all to finish. This was the upside to running the 10k – I could finally support all my runners who have been there to support me along the way. My amazing husband PRed (and didn’t end up in the ER) and Ellen finished very strong considering she didn’t feel very well the day before. Marissa’s crossed the finish line with her daughter and it was adorable.

This unofficially marks the end of running season for me. I have a 5k Jingle Bell Run in December and that’s it. Because of my aches and pains, I’m going to take it easy with running through the winter but still try to keep a small base then hopefully I can come back strong and healed next Spring.

In other news, since I have been MIA pretty much all summer, we got in a few good hikes this season, husband is training for a full marathon next month, my mom came to visit, I had a lovely birthday, we made our annual trek to Arizona to visit family, I participated in a Heart Walk last weekend, and all is good in our neck of the woods. We are drinking a lot of beer, and now eating a lot of pumpkin. As always, you can follow me on twitter or Instagram (leftovers4lunch) for more regular updates.

xoxo – thanks for sticking around!


2 Responses

  1. Great photos!
    I totally understand what you mean about the sad ending to a race. When Michael and I did the Portland Century, the finish line was pathetic. You just arrived back at your starting location at PSU and there was an after party with dinner and a band and stuff but I wanted to cross a FINISH LINE. It meant something to me. I was glad I didn’t do the full 100 last year because I’d be super disappointed knowing my first century ride ended with no fan fare, no finish line, no medal, no people!

  2. great to have an update from you! ❤

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: