While the rest of the country is experiencing abnormal heat waves, we here in Washington are getting our April showers a little early. It has been pouring nearly everyday, all day, until the clouds decide to part in the early evening for a couple hours. And then the rainclouds roll back in. And that’s when I’m grateful to come home to a warm pot of vegetable soup, simmering in my crockpot.
Winter Lentil Soup
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 bunch kale
- 2 15-ounce cans diced , undrained
- 6 cups water
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into a 1/2-inch dice
- 1/2 cup brown lentils
- 2 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 12 fresh basil leaves, chopped
Combine all ingredients in a crockpot and set on low for 6-8 hours. Yep, it’s that easy.