I have no shame. I totally stole this idea from Cassie when she posted her Salmon Parmesan Lasagna Roll-ups that left me salivating. I just so happened to have an extra box of spelt lasagna noodles leftover from our traditional Christmas Eve lasagna dinner. Lasagna is only a couple times a year sort of thing for me so I figured that box of noodles would sit in the pantry for 6 months until it annoyed me enough that I broke down and made a deep dish lasagna. But alas, Cassie saved the day.
I made the decision to try and come up with my own version so I did chicken instead of parmesan and went with a roasted red pepper sauce instead of her dill parmesan sauce. Except then I got too lazy to run downstairs and grab the food processor to do the sauce and ended up with red peppers in a cream sauce. Good enough for me. If you are an overachiever, you may want to blend the peppers into the sauce. (Also, mine didn’t turn out nearly as pretty as Cassie’s but oh well. I’m sure they tasted just as good.)
Roasted Red Pepper Chicken Lasagna Roll-Up
- Cooking spray
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and chopped
- 3 red bell peppers, seeded and halved
- 5 ounces goat cheese
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan, divided
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs (I used gluten free corn based crumbs)
- 12 whole grain lasagna noodles, cooked as directed (I used 9 spelt noodles, cut in half)
- Preheat oven to 450°. Place bell peppers, in a baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until peppers are soft. Set aside until cool. Dice peppers. (If you want to blend it in with the sauce, add the broth and peppers to a food processor and give it a whirl.)
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, mix together cheese, broth, garlic, salt and pepper. Heat until cheese is melted. Stir in 1/4 cup Parmesan until melted. Remove from heat. Remove 1/2 cup of mixture and reserve. In saucepan, add peppers, breadcrumbs and chicken pieces. Stir until well-mixed.
- Place 2 tablespoons filling on the end of each lasagna noodle and roll up tightly. Place seam-side-down in an 11×13 baking dish coated with cooking spray. When all rolls are in dish, spoon reserved cheese mixture over rolls and top with remaining Parmesan. Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly.