We are scraping the bottom of the barrel for vegan meal ideas that are low on grains and that isn’t in soup form. I did break down and let in some brown rice, just to get some starch in us so we don’t kill each other by Sunday. I’m exaggerating. The detox hasn’t really been bad at all. I’ll be back Monday with a semi-detailed recap. I loved that this dish was really light feeling as opposed to the heavy soups we have been eating. When I ate it as leftovers yesterday, I added a spoonful of capers on top and that was perfection – nice and salty!
Zucchini Mediterranean Style
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, chopped
- 3 cups chopped zucchini
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup chopped kalamata olives
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained
- Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan, and stir in the rice. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Heat oil in a separate medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in onion, red bell pepper, and garlic, and cook until tender. Mix in tomatoes and zucchini, and season with oregano, salt, and pepper. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir cannellini beans and olives into the tomato and zucchini mixture, and continue cooking about 10 minutes. Serve over the cooked rice.