Tonight, we are celebrating Christmas with my dad and his girlfriend. I’ve got a delicious menu planned – here’s hoping it all goes off without a hitch! Dad is ditching us for the actual holiday (first time in years we won’t be spending it with him!) to go to Oregon with his girlfriend. That means Christmas day will be just the two of us. I suspect it will be a quiet weekend around these parts. One more day of work to plow through, first!
Since I’m planning on cooking up a storm this weekend, a crockpot soup sounded fantastic and gave me plenty of time to tidy up the house in the evenings instead of standing over a hot stove then a basin of suds, doing dishes. Who am I kidding? I have a dishwasher and it’s name is Jodus!
Squash, Chickpea & Red Lentil Stew
Adapted from this recipe.
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 1/2 pounds squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes (I used acorn squash but butternut or kabocha would work well also.)
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup red lentils
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup chopped chipotles (use less if you are sensitive to spice!)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- Combine all ingredients in a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Put on the lid and cook on low until the lentils have begun to break down, 5 to 6 1/2 hours.
- Stir in lime juice. Serve sprinkled with cilantro.