This is the kind that is ridiculously easy to make, ridiculously healthy, and ridiculously delicious. It’s also the kind of meal that when people say they don’t have the time, energy, and money to eat healthy that I wag my finger at them.
Black Bean Smothered Sweet Potatoes
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Prick sweet potatoes with a fork in several places. Microwave on High until tender all the way to the center, 12 to 15 minutes. (Alternatively, place in a baking dish and bake at 425&ordm;F until tender all the way to the center, about 1 hour.)
- Meanwhile, combine beans, tomato, oil, cumin, coriander and salt in a medium microwave-safe bowl; microwave on High until just heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. (Alternatively, heat in a small saucepan over medium heat.)
- When just cool enough to handle, slash each sweet potato lengthwise, press open to make a well in the center and spoon the bean mixture into the well. Top each with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of cilantro.
After a douse of Cholula, this was a great. A step up from just throwing kidney beans on a sweet potato a la Caitlin-style that makes a regular appearance on my lazy days.