On our latest trip to Costco, I found some chicken sausage that didn’t have apple or cheese in them – score! And besides the beef casing, they totally fit my new diet guidelines. I can overlook that.
So I googled recipes for chicken sausage and was stoked when I saw Eating Well pop up – it is my all-time favorite cooking magazine and I knew they wouldn’t fail me!
BBQ Baked Beans and Sausage
- 1/2 cup prepared barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 16oz chopped collard greens, tough stems removed
- 9 ounces cooked chicken sausage links, (about 3 links), halved lengthwise and sliced
- 2 15-ounce cans white beans, drained and rinsed
- Whisk barbecue sauce, water, tomato paste, molasses, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and collard greens and cook, stirring occasionally, until the collards are wilted, 3 to 5 minutes. Add sausage and cook, stirring, until beginning to brown, about 3 minutes more.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; add beans and the sauce mixture to the pan. Gently stir to combine, cover and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes.
Another easy 1-pot meal win! (And I’m still loving using frozen greens, obviously! Our dark leafy green intake has tripled since I’ve been stocking up on those freezer bags!)