I must admit, I’ve been a little bored with the snacks I’ve had lately. There has been a lot of fruit leather, veggies and hummus, and that’s about it. So I decided to do something about it.
These granola bars are chewy and delicious.
I made a double batch and a few changes – almond butter instead of peanut, and a mix of millet and brown rice instead of just rice.
No Bake Granola Bars
Dry (use scant measurements):
* 3 C rolled oats
* 1 C crisp puffed brown rice cereal
* 1 C puffed millet
* 1/2 C pumpkin seeds
* 1/2 C sunflower seeds
* 1/2 C chia seeds
* 1/4 C finely ground flaxseed
Wet (use generous measurements):
* 1 C brown rice syrup
* 3/4 C roasted almond butter
* 2 tsp. vanilla extract
1) Add all the dry ingredients to a large bowl. Mix them together.
2) In a separate (microwave safe) bowl, mix together the wet ingredients, then microwave them for about 20 to 30 seconds. This will make it easier to mix and add to the dry ingredients since it’s really sticky!
3) Pour wet ingredients into dry and mix! Keep mixing until the wet binding ingredients are as well distributed as possible. Put some muscle into it! 😉
4) Put the mixture into a shallow pan and flatten it down. Place in freezer for 5 minutes to firm up. Cut them in to 24 bars, wrap in plastic wrap and store in fridge.
They only take about 10 minutes to make, and a little man power.
A little puppy power, too!
My batch made 24 that clock in ~200 calories a pop. Nutritionals here. If you are calorie conscious, you can omit some of the seeds to reduce it a bit. But I like my healthy fats so bring ‘em on!