Just in case we needed some extra luck this year…
INGREDIENTS: For 4-6 large servings
- 2 cans of black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup of Basmati rice, boiled till cooked
- 6 cups of chopped spinach
- 2 Tablespoons of mashed garlic (mashed in a mortar with a pinch of salt)
- 1 cilantro bunch (about 2 ounces), stems chopped off and leaves chopped fine.
- 2 Tbls Olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- A few slices of prosciutto, sliced to get slivers (optional)
- A few lemon quarters (optional)
- salt, pepper to taste
Start by chopping the onion and get it sautéing.
Once translucent, add mashed garlic, cilantro, beans, and chopped spinach.
Stir in rice and warm through.
Season with salt and pepper.
Top with sliced pancetta.
Honestly, I thought it was a bit bland. I’m certain this isn’t traditional Hoppin’ John. But nothing a little Cholula couldn’t fix! It was hearty and filling and I would definitely like to experiment with other Hoppin’ John recipes.