Step One: Use real butter. Maybe a couple spoonfuls of bacon fat, you know, since you have a jar of it sitting next to the stove.
Step Two: Lots of onion and garlic.
Step Three: Wine. Lots of it.
Step Four: A zing factor. I like to add chopped sundried tomato. Lemon juice also works. Maybe capers. In a pinch, bacon always works.
Step Five: Add something green so you don’t feel so bad gorging on the risotto. I like spinach. Chopped asparagus is yummy too. Or zucchini.
Step Six: Cheese, please! Fresh is best.
Step Seven: Just season lightly with fresh ground pepper.
Step Eight: More cheese.
Sundried Tomato and Mushroom Risotto
- 4Tbls butter
- 2 Tbls bacon grease
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1 mini bottle of white wine
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 carton of chicken stock
- 1/2 cup of chopped sundried tomatoes
- 3 cups of of chopped spinach
- 1/2 cup of shredded parmesan cheese
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- 5 tbls parmesan cheese for garnish