Beans, beans, the magical fruit!
I can’t get enough of cheap-o beans lately! And while I was perusing Claudia’s plate last week, chicken chili caught my eye. When I’ve made chili in the past, I have used ground turkey or ground beef, or even rocked a vegetarian version. For some reason, chicken never came to mind. So I did a bit of searching on my favorite internet recipe site, AllRecipes, and ran across this white chicken chili recipe that was dairy free and sounded like it had a nice zing to it.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 Tbls garlic, minced
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced jalapeno peppers
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers (HOT if you dare!)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 heavy dashes of ground cayenne pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth (I actually used a mix of chicken and veggie to use opened cartons!)
- 2 chicken breasts
- 4 (15 ounce) cans white beans, rinsed and drained (I like a good mix of varieties!)
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 an avocado, sliced
- Throw all the ingredients, except cilantro and avocado, in the crockpot, simmer on low for 7-9 hours.
- Shred chicken, add the cilantro and stir well.
- Serve.Garnish with avocado slices.
I adore crockpot meals because they are ridiculously easy. I actually prepped it the night before, let it sit in the fridge overnight, then just popped it in the pot in the morning and let it ride. We had a busy evening planned so this was the perfect dinner.
Throw a bunch of crap in the pot and forget about it!
After simmering all day and shredding the chicken (which effortlessly falls apart after all the work the crock did!) then adding cilantro.
It smelled fantastic.
Top with avocado slices and indulge.
This was very spicy! So if you aren’t a spice fan, just do plain green chile’s instead of the jalapeno and the HOT green chile’s. The avocado helps to tone it down a bit; sour cream would also be very good on this but alas, we have none.